|Policy on Monetizing Tools Hosted on edCode.org:
All edCode.org tools must be completely free for anyone to install and use.
That said, there are a few ways that each tool's creator can make some money via showing ads. The policy for this is laid out below:
- Charge for your tool, at install or any other future point.
- Charge for add-ons, or additional features.
- Show ads within the tool itself. Examples of this:
- Showing ads in a mobile app or desktop app.
- Showing ads on a web-based tool.
It's allowed for a tool's creator to:
- Show family-safe ads on any website that discusses the tool (even if hosted on edCode.org). An example of this are the AdSense ads on flubaroo.com/instructional-videos.
- Note #1: Showing ads on the tool's primary homepage is not recommended, as it may impact its perceived value.
- Note #2: While ads can be shown alongside instructional comment, inserting ads in the middle of instructional content is strongly discouraged.
- Show short, family-safe text or video ads within the tool's instructional videos (e.g. YouTube in-video ads).
- Have a "tip jar" or donate button on your tool's primary website.